Going without food for longer may seem a difficult step to take to manage your body weight or your health! Especially if you love good food, as we do on the Fit to Succeed show! In this episode, we investigate the popular trend of intermittent fasting for women with a leading health coach, Laurie Lewis. We discuss how to apply a fasting approach, in easy-to-take, comfortable steps and benefit from Laurie’s years of experience and her supportive coaching methods and tips.
For Intermittent Fasting Coach and Author, Laurie Lewis, menopause dealt a crushing blow – brain fog, lack of balance, memory loss, and the rapid gain of 50 pounds of stubborn body fat. She tried everything she knew to feel better, and the methods that worked in the past made no difference. After four years of struggle, Laurie stumbled upon Intermittent Fasting and started fasting that very same day. The menopausal fog lifted in less than one week, she had more energy and felt more “like herself.” She lost 51 pounds in 15 months and has kept it off for years! Time has passed and Laurie has turned her personal success into a thriving Intermittent Fasting coaching business. As a certified health coach, from the Institute for Integrative Nutrition, Laurie guides her clients to eat great food, take a pause, and enjoy life feeling vibrantly well.
Website: Fast Forward Wellness
Episode content: Intermittent fasting for women
We have addressed the science of time-restricted feeding and intermittent fasting previously in episode 43 with Danny Lennon. We enjoy getting into the scientific details, but it is also necessary to step back and consider the more practical application and impact of diet and behaviour change. In this interview, the intention was to provide the perspective of the nutrition/health coach and how to apply intermittent fasting in real-world circumstances.
- 2:44 Why intermittent fasting is an interesting topic for this episode
- 4:12 Why Laurie chose to use intermittent fasting in her own life
- 9:30 Going without food for longer periods of time does carry a certain appeal
- 11:28 Fasting as a spiritual practice and its potential physical health benefits
- 16:22 Extending the ‘default’ nightly fast from 7 – 8 hours up to 12 hours
- 21:24 A fasting approach may actually be liberating and is individually adaptable
- 30:20 The concept of applying fasting window ‘guard rails’
- 32:44 Applying a ‘clean’ fast
- 33:58 Intermittent fasting benefits specific to women
- 40:01 Does intermittent fasting benefit weight loss beyond calorie reduction?
Connect with Laurie over social media:
Rate the show
If you enjoyed this episode, then please rate and review the show. We invite you to share it with your friends so they can benefit from this free expert information. Comments and feedback are always welcome. Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes or the video series on YouTube so you will receive each update immediately upon release. It also helps the show rank higher and reach more people.
For other great episodes and expert guests on the Fit to Succeed show, visit our podcast library.